Relief Assistant Role Description
Community Coordinator and/ or Program Coordinator
As a live out relief assistant your role is to be models that assist in growth and bring about relationships with one another. The primary focus is to enable the L’Arche Community to provide quality care and facilitate quality of life for the *core members. Individuals providing relief coverage are asked to respect the life in the homes of which they share time and the principles by which L’Arche operates (See Charter of L’Arche). Relief employees are not guaranteed a set number of hours on the schedule. The role is on an as needed basis only. Relief assistants also have the right to turn down offered shifts when it does not fit their personal schedule.
- Be a presence to the core members.
- Enable the core members to develop their potential social and personal skills by providing direct care for all appropriate physical, medical, emotional, and social needs.
- Work alongside the core members so as to promote solidarity, self-esteem, and independence.
- Assist in the implementation of core member ISP goals.
- Accurately record daily tasks and activities in designated journals, calendars, and medical sheets.
- Accompany core members to medical appointments, shopping, and social activities etc.
- Communicate with other agencies, parents, or team members in a professional manner.
- Provide support to the team
- Relief assistants are responsible for participating in the day to day routines of the home and the core members.
- Follow DDS and Irenicon policies and procedures.
- Share responsibilities for maintaining a clean and organized home.
- Respect the spirituality of L’Arche
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Be able to pass CORI background check
- Must attend and pass CPR/ First Aid Training within 30 days
- MAP certificate preferred or within first 120 days